Industry partner: Sustainability Victoria (SV)
Sustainability Victoria (SV) supports Victorians to be more sustainable in their everyday life; in their homes, jobs, schools and communities and in the systems and infrastructure that support a thriving Victorian economy and lifestyle. Sustainability Victoria aims to improve the way Victoria manages its resources and helps its communities to take action on climate change. Sustainability Victoria provides expert advice and guidance about energy, materials and waste and conducts research that demonstrates what is possible and inspires people to make sustainable change above and beyond legal requirements.
The aim of the project is to evaluate the trajectory for non-residential buildings to achieve net zero carbon by 2050 with a conservative technology scenario.
Key project tasks include:
- Meta-analysis of industry and academic research on commercial sector greenhouse gas
- High level aggregated building stock model for current and future projections of commercial building stock
- Scenario models to highlight three key trajectories for the commercial buildings sector towards net zero carbon by 2050 and one scenario where the sector is a net contributor
- Calculating financial metrics including cost-benefit, simple payback, net present value (NPV) etc.
- Spreadsheet, or equivalent, of synthesised data
- Draft report of consolidated findings
- Presentation (powerpoint) of research project findings
- Key attributes include excellent written communication skills, independence, decision making, good interpersonal/verbal communication, organisational/planning prioritising/time management/ability to meet deadlines.
- Sustainable Systems and Sustainable Energy Engineering, Mathematics (analytical)