THIS TALK IS CANCELLED
Speaker: Prof. Reinout Quispel
La Trobe University
Title: Geometric numerical integration: how to discretize differential equations while preserving their physical properties
Date and time: Friday 13 October 2017, 3:00–4:00pm
Location: Building 8 Level 9 Room 66 (AGR) RMIT City campus
In this talk we give a survey of geometric numerical integration, i.e. the numerical solution of differential equations while preserving one or more of their physical properties exactly, i.e. up to round-off error. Properties that can be preserved include symplectic structure, energy and other first integrals, phase space volume, symmetries, dissipation, etc.
- B.Sc. University of Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- M.Sc. University of Utrecht.
- Research Associate at Leiden University, The Netherlands.
- Ph.D, Leiden University. Title of Thesis: “Linear Integral Equations and Soliton Systems”, supervisor: Hans W. Capel.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at Twente University, The Netherlands.
- Assistant Professor at Department of Mathematics, Utrecht University.
- (Senior) Research Fellow at Australian National University.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader at La Trobe University, Department of Mathematics.
- Reader at University of Cambridge (visiting position at DAMTP from April until July).
- Professor of Mathematics at La Trobe University.
- ARC Australian Professorial Fellowship.
- Onsager Professorship and Medal (Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim).
- ARC Distinguished Outstanding Researcher Award.