There are two options for grading group assignments in Canvas. Everyone in the group receives the same mark and feedback or each student in the group is graded individually. However there maybe the need to adjust the grade of some individuals in a group. The easiest way to do this is:
- Begin the assignment with the setting that all group members get the same grade.
- Before grading, mute the assignment so that you do not send out grading notifications.
- Apply your grades to the groups
- Switch the setting to each student getting their own grade and then go back to the gradebook to adjust the few you need to adjust
- Unmute the assignment so that students can see their grades.
The following recorded Canvas LIVE webinar looks at the what you should consider when setting up a group assignment in Canvas.
Canvas Community Resources:
- What are Student Groups?
- How do I view student groups as an instructor?
- How do I view my Canvas groups as an instructor?
- How do I create a new group set?
- How do I edit a group set?
- How do I automatically create groups in a group set?
- How do I manually create groups in a group set?
- How do I create self sign-up groups?
- How do I automatically assign students to groups?
- How do I manually assign students to groups?
- How do I assign a student leader to a group?
- How do I message students who have not signed up for a self sign-up group?
- How do I prevent students from switching groups in self sign-up groups?
- How do I move a student into a different group?
- How do I view student activity within a group as an instructor?
- How do I start a collaboration with a student group as an instructor?