1 – Open ARC Screen Recording:
Go into the Arc Media Library (within Canvas course menu) or your personal ARC within Canvas and select record (A) then Screen Capture (B)
2 – Check your settings:
Once the software is loaded (or if you have it installed) you will need to set how you wish to record. Set your options in the black recording box (C) They include:
- (C1) Recording type: Screen, Web-camera or Both (camera and screen)
- (C2) Size: Usually you set this to Full screen and it will record the whole screen for you (Default is 720p)
- (C3) Narration: This is on by default , so your voice (by microphone) will be recorded.
- (C4) Computer Audio: if you want computer sounds appearing on the video soundtrack (off by default).
- (C5) Preferences: Set various options e.g. Pause recording button is “ALT+P” by default.
3 – Recording:
Press ‘REC’ to begin recording (bottom left on recording bar)
- (D1) Record: Press ‘Rec’ to record. When recording ‘Pause’ button will appear in the bottom left (by default)
- (D2) Pause: Re-click ‘Pause’ to continue recording or…
- (D3) Done: Click ‘Done’ to stop recording
- (D4) Draw & Zoom.: is an annotation feature and also allows screen zooming, in (i) and out (o) using keyboard keys. It is only usable in paused mode (at time of writing) so you can’t annotate on the fly while recording.
- (D5) Trash: press to delete recording.
4 – Save and Upload:
Once you have stopped recording (pressed ‘Done”) Publish your content so it’s ready to link. When you publish add a Title and Desc. before Saving (upload) Prior to uploading (saving) you can edit your screen capture. Click the ‘Edit’ button to to enter the editing Screen,
The editing panel is quite complex so this is just a short overview. You have a timeline across the bottom with Controls and a Playhead that you can slide forward and Backwards. Use the Tools menu to select an editing function. See the list (below image) of editing functions that you may wish to apply to your screen recording.
- Cut: This tool cuts out sections of video
- Copy: Allows copying of a section of video to paste into another section
- Hide: You can hide the Webcam and or Cursor during parts of your video
- Insert: Insert video or new recordings
- Narrate: Allows you to narrate a section of video
- Overlay: Tools for adding Text and images on the video
- Replace: Add a section of video and or freeze a frame
- Speed: Speed up or slow down a section of video
- Transition: add a transition to the video e.g. rotate, Fade, Scale etc.
- Volume: Allows you to adjust the volume in a section of video.
RE-EDITING NOTE: At time of writing there appears to be no way to reopen your edits so make sure your video is correct before your publish it (upload) to ARC. If you need to edit an existing screen capture just do a new screen capture, it only need to be a small amount, then go to edit and insert the existing footage and begin editing that new version.