Industry partner: Sustainability Victoria (SV)
Sustainability Victoria (SV) supports Victorians to be more sustainable in their everyday life; in their homes, jobs, schools and communities and in the systems and infrastructure that support a thriving Victorian economy and lifestyle. Sustainability Victoria aims to improve the way Victoria manages its resources and helps its communities to take action on climate change. Sustainability Victoria provides expert advice and guidance about energy, materials and waste and conducts research that demonstrates what is possible and inspires people to make sustainable change above and beyond legal requirements.
The Victorian Government has run several small- scale (around 1000 homes) energy efficiency retrofit programs to help reduce energy costs for low income households, while improving thermal comfort and health outcomes. To help Victoria reach zero-net-carbon (ZNC) by 2050 significant reductions of emissions from the residential sector will have to take place. A large scale retrofit program for low income households could be part of this reduction in emissions.
In this project SV would like to engage one or two students in a research to study similar government-led energy retrofit programs that have happened across the world.
The research would cover:
– Different models of large scale retrofits
– What made a successful large scale (in excess of 100,000 homes) energy retrofit program
– The challenges in scaling up a retrofit program
– How the retrofit programs were financed eg social bond, co-contribution from home owner, philanthropic etc
A report of consolidated findings
– A PowerPoint presentation of research project
– July – October 2019 (Semester 2)
– Students are required to attend the kick-off meeting with SV to fully understand the requirements from SV. A returned project brief together with a project plan is required after this meeting.
– Students then work on their own and/or under the supervision/instructions of the supervisor to meet the agreed timeline.
– SV will appoint a contact person who helps students with data access or any question/queries regarding the requirements of the project.