ADDITIONAL VALUE

A series of matchbox sculptures to explore material and consumerism.

In the wave of consumerism, commodities are taking over our lives and defining everyone. I am hoping to expose this power and draw attention to the power of consumerism so that people are more conscious of how they are being manipulated.

This work also relates to how people live in general—people focus more on the things that make them look good on the outside, such as high-class luxury brands, not so much on the inside.

I chose matchboxes because they are a one-time object and don’t last very long, similar to the way in which people nowadays buy items for single use or for short time satisfaction.  I use different materials to mirror brands in transforming objects into art objects. For example, the use of rhinestones and luxury brands’ logos is a way to make the packaging more desirable, it elevates the appearance of the matchbox.

I am also experimenting with boxes and the meaning of packaging without anything inside. This work makes me wonder; can a box or package still identify as a product without items inside?

Series of Matchbox
Altsoy, Additional Value, 2022, 57mm x 36mm x 15mm (each), paper, metal, PVC, wood.
Matchboxes with Brands' logo
Altsoy, Additional Value, 2022, 57mm x 36mm x 15mm (each), paper, wood.
Box in a luxury store
Altsoy, Additional Value, 2022.

instagram.com/altsoy.art

, , ,
Altsoy