Man in front of banner
Installation view for Stand In @imperialartpalace 2022

THE DIARY: EXCERPTS OF MOMENTS AND REFLECTIONS

My studio practice revolves around self-exploration and healing and, with this project particularly, engages in the field of confessional art. Through the mediums of drawing, painting and installation, I create this project from thoughts that would usually hide. The artworks are conducted on eight-foot rolls of calico, written and drawn on with a fabric dye. In the process of producing each work I establish an intimate connection with the material, walking, laying and leaning during their progress, allowing myself to become comfortable and at home with them enough to let go. 

A large decorative banner with text spilling onto the floor in a studio
I Wish it was Clean Enough to Swim, 2022 Fabric dye on calico 300 x 150 x 50 cm approx

an artists studio with large banners
Studio shot, 2022

Taken directly from entries in my personal diary I focus on pointedly expressing previously repressed and shadowed thoughts as a form of healing. Taking my experiences into a physical representation and in creation, produces an extension of myself. Through my art I aim to be open and vulnerable, accepting the discomfort and intricacies of the human experience, allowing myself to be as raw or explicit as necessary.

instagram.com/fuckniamhsart

Niamh McCosker