Recipient of the Drawing Studio Award.

_________________________________

THE NATURE OF LOVE

‘Trauma and shit going down in childhood is [not] inherently interesting…it’s chronic, commonplace, sometimes dramatic and often tedious in its stranglehold of repetitions, daily struggles, and predictable and unpredictable outcomes, and no one gets out alive.’ – Meera Atkinson, Traumata

My practice is a quest for remembering, categorising, and sifting the factual from the fictional. What belongs to me and what belongs to others? What do I know? What did I invent? And what exactly have I forgotten?

The Nature of Love is a semi-autobiographical, fantastical reimagining of childhood, attachment, and trauma. Using ephemeral materials, and found objects that evoke a sense of nostalgia, I seek to transplant the audience to a place of reminiscence.

Focusing on primary attachments, social conditioning, and transgenerational epigenetic inheritance, the artworks I create are concerned with the complexities and nuances of traumatic memory. Specifically, I aim to articulate the ambiguous nature of memory, distorted by imprinting, mutation, and forgetting.

I explore fragmented memory through tactile sensation, using construction and craft to generate a palette of transformed actualities that recalls the past as a dark fable or forgotten memoire, imbued with ancestral memories weighing on, though not necessarily belonging to, the person in question. Combining elements from the found, the historical and the self-authored, my practice produces absent, disembodied, or fragmented forms that speak to the polarising human experiences of familiarity and fear.

I believe that art-making can be a form of therapy, the process allowing for deep exploration and connection with self. By means of introspection and empathy, I hope to create a tangible point of reference within the inexpressible.

Perhaps it is necessary to actualise, to make real, the imagined, the lost, and the embellished, in order to find truth.

I Walked Out of the Womb with Feet Made of Stone, 2022, antique stockings, stones, wire, waxed linen, found steel tube, bone
Annie Wallwork, I Walked Out the Womb with Feet Made of Stone, 2022, Antique stocking, wire, stones, steel rod, animal bone, waxed linen.
An Unintelligible Memory, 2022, antique saw horse, industrial chain, synthetic hair, waxed linen
Annie Wallwork, The Past is a Grotesque Animal, 2022, Antique sawhorse, chain, synthetic hair, waxed linen, varnish.
Mother, 2022, latex, found steel, doilies, cotton twine
Annie Wallwork, Surrogate (the carrier), 2022, Antique doilies, twine, latex, found steel children’s chair base, photograph.
, , ,
Annie Wallwork