THERE WON’T BE ANOTHER TIME is an exploration of childhood. Looking at both the universality of childhood experience, and the differences in my and my parent’s upbringing, I consider the question: What would it be like to meet our parents as children?

Linking our childhoods together through personal research, my work taps into positive childhood memories to assist in overcoming adult trauma, and foster greater intergenerational understanding. Artist books become a chronicle definition of simultaneous childhoods that play across the pages, using symbols of nostalgia and memory. Material experimentation combines multi-media and print methods to create a series of works that depict memories in snapshots that are accompanied by archival video work.

As a print artist interested in the relationship between art and self-healing, my practice broadly explores art-making as a form of therapy. This project encapsulates the importance of preserving family archives for keeping family stories alive, inner child healing, and connecting across generations, as there is no better time than now.

Photo of a cyanotype
Aurora Markel, There won’t be another time, 2022, cyanotype print.

Photo of a cyanotype

A photograph of several relief prints on the drying rack
Aurora Markel, The Age Of Ecology, 2022, linocut.

, , ,
Aurora Markel