THE FILING CABINET IN THE BACK OF MY MIND

I struggle to share my feelings, even with those close to me.

The title of this body of work refers to the metaphorical filing cabinet in my mind that holds all of my trauma, sadness and anxieties. In this project, I am attempting to clear out this filing cabinet before you in order to give you a look into my mind and my feelings.

There are therapeutic benefits to photography that help the photographer visualise and process their trauma. Being able to compartmentalise elements of a traumatic experience has helped me to take small steps to evaluating my past personal experiences.

Self-portraiture within domestic spaces has helped me relay feelings of isolation and issues mental health in a way that relates to me and my theme. Feeling heard is very important in self-actualising I hope that through my photographs I can express my inner world to connect with people who care about me.

Although in the moments of self-portraiture I felt lonely and at times immensely sad, retrospectively I can see my progress and shifts in my mental state. While I’m not over what happened to me, I’ve been given an opportunity to look at my trauma in a different, more approachable way, hopefully paving a path for future healing.

Nathan Harbutt, The Filing Cabinet In the Back Of My Mind, 2022, digital photography.

, , ,
Nathan Harbutt