Recipient of the NAVA Ignition Prize and the Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence and contribution to the program, Master of Fine Art.

_________________________________ 

HOW WILL I REMEMBER explores my Chinese-Australian bi-cultural identity by examining the concept of loss and grief. It employs a methodology of autoethnography augmented by critical realism to create a video essay reflecting upon my lived experience of loss and grief within Australian/Chinese socio-cultural contexts. Through the oscillation between subjective and objective, fact and fiction, past and present, Eastern and Western, this project sets forth my conflicted experience as I am both, but neither, Chinese nor Australian. It seeks to cultivate new insights into the reality of migrant experience in contemporary Australia by inviting joint contemplation that transcends linguistic, cultural and social barriers.

Mingzheng Liu, How Will I Remember [still], 2022, single-channel video (33:00).

Ming (Mingzheng) Liu is an Australian photographer and filmmaker based in Melbourne. Born in China and raised in Australia, Ming’s practice finds its roots in his bi-cultural background. Informed by autoethnographical research, Ming creates video and photo-based artwork to examine and convey the migrant experience in contemporary Australia. Accentuating the paradoxes between lived experience and socio-cultural expectations, Ming uses his work to advocate for social change through cultural understanding.

Ming has recently completed a Master of Fine Art at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. Previously working as a professional architect, Ming holds a Master in Architecture from Tsinghua University and a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture from the University of Canberra. Since 2016 he has participated in group exhibitions and screenings in Australia and China at both artist-run initiatives and public events such as Bunjil Place outdoor screening program, Melbourne. His work is held in private collections in Australia and China.

mingliew.com

instagram.com/mingliew_art

, ,
Mingzheng Liu