1994, YEAR OF THE MUTT

Evelyn Challinor (b.1994) is a mixed-race Chinese-Australian artist, originally from Gadigal and Yuin Land. She currently resides in Naarm, practising between the fields of fine art and horticulture.

Through the process of thinking-through-making, my practice draws from the emotional and cultural imprint my mother has left me from childhood and how it manifests through my first experience of caregiving to my dog. My paintings aim to explore and express my transition into adulthood and responsibility whilst simultaneously navigating concepts of cultural hybridity and duality. My research tends to the creative expression of the broader Asian diaspora community. My work is heavily influenced by hearing their stories, connecting visually to shared memories and finding my own place among the broader community, which I then process mentally and innately weave those impressions into my practice. In my work, my dog acts as a vessel—a means through which I can express and explore my place in the world.

I typically work in a monochromatic palette, experimenting with different materials ranging from biro, digital illustration, acrylic, oil and ink painting. My current body of work is an exploration of traditional art materials such as Chinese ink and rice paper.

I would like to pay my respects to the Woi worrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the Eastern Kulin Nation where I am currently studying at RMIT University. I would also like to further extend my respects to elders past, present and emerging. 

instagram.com/evelyn.wei_

Illustration of a dog
Let Sleeping Dogs Lie [series], 2021
Evelyn Challinor
Biro on paper
21 x 29.7cm
Evelyn working on a painting in her studio.
Studio shot, 2022. Image credit: Hassan Ayache.
Biro illustration of a dog
Let Sleeping Dogs Lie [series], 2021
Evelyn Challinor
Biro on paper
21 x 29.7cm

, , ,
Evelyn Challinor