Tastes good to me is the result of exploring my research question: “How can tastes reveal similarities between classes?” I have chosen to use food as my medium because it can portray more than what is physically in the image; food can both bolster stereotypes and undermine them, and it can also be used as a metaphor for class aspirations and tastes. My work pushes this to the extreme by exaggerating the garnishing, plating or setting because these are the strongest elements that can be used to speak about class. By also incorporating the vernacular into the work through my overall ‘daggy’ aesthetic, the work further highlights aspects of class. To celebrate the connections between classes exposed in my work, Tastes good to me evokes a carnivalesque laughter which derives from medieval festivals that create a temporary release from societal norms. This encourages communicative laughter over the connections between class tastes that appear when the borders between different classes are revealed.

Dumplings, 2021

pigment print

1618 x 1118 mm

Fairy bread, 2021

pigment print

1618 x 1118 mm

Prawn pie, 2021

pigment print

1618 x 1118 mm

Fish fingers, 2021

pigment print

1618 x 1118 mm

Chamoers and jelly, 2021

pigment print

1618m x 1118 mm

Untitled, 2021

digital photograph

1618m x 1118 mm

, ,
Luke Bryant
Tagged on: