‘Precarity’ is a familiar and visceral state which is accepted as a normal way of being. Pointing to a lack of stability, with no assurance of perseverance, precarity carries insecurity and anxiety into the experience of existence. It is a broad concept with multiple meanings, but to me precarity means that uncertainty is inevitable. Despite its prevalence, the visibility of precarity has not increased. The cycle of internalisation and uncertainty allows it to grow. This photographic series seeks to reveal my interior self and the notion of precarity to the world. It represents me as a young woman seeking a sense of self and identity in a society in which the only consistency is change, exacerbated by the impacts of global issues that hang over the future. In this work I am seeking to capture the fleeting and ephemeral, conveying them in a way that evokes feelings and an inner knowing to the audience. My photographs work to capture my experience of precarity and allow me to share the impacts of this phenomenon.

Cracks, 2021

pigment print

Portrait, 2021

pigment print

Drip, 2021

pigment print

Seeing, 2021

pigment print

@hannahphemister

, ,
Hannah Phemister
Tagged on: