My younger sister Lucy was born on 16 December 2011, and since then we have shared years of love, laughter and tears. The bond Lucy and I have is more than being blood related – we are also each other’s best friend.

This body of work aims to explore the relationship I share with my younger sister Lucy. Looking at the complexities of sisterhood, and the unique relationships that sisters share, I have created a series of images that represent the in-between moments Lucy and I have together. The work explores the growth Lucy and I have shared as individuals and as siblings, and how being sisters has impacted our identities. Sisterhood to me means being the kind of woman Lucy can look up to for guidance, who will protect her and be her best friend. I wanted to use this project to explore what sisterhood means, not only to me but also to Lucy. I used both self-portraiture and collaborative performance as methods to create this body of work. Lucy and I performing for the camera involved both of us working together to represent our relationship, and how we want to present it to the audience. This body of work captures who we are as individual people but also perfectly represents the special and unique bond we share as sisters – a bond that is eternal.

December, 2021

digital photograph

@mollyburmeisterphotography
, ,
Molly Burmeister
Tagged on: