Northcote Pottery Supplies Award:

LISTEN TO THE WILD BEASTS OF THE ISLAND, NIGHT BIRDS AND WITCHES.” These are all terms that have been applied to women who did not conform to a male dominated society. There is a present and historical fear of strong women, and it is mainly women who are voicing environmental concerns. Misogyny has been shown to be a factor in climate denial, the highest-profile climate campaigners in the world today are two women: Greta Thunberg and Alexandria Ocasio Cortez. Those shouting them down are primarily older conservative men. For many years I have made work around ideas of environment, connection and disconnection. In this work each component suggests a linkage to its neighbour yet is physically separated by its placement. I find my work always embodies the shoreline, the ocean and the daily walks I take along the beach. There is a sense of calm in the sea and I have used the circle to create a space that is both safe and meditative. Each component relies on the next one, suggesting the need of connections. When I think about who it is that I am making the work for, I think of an audience who need a space to reflect, somewhere calming and meditative.

instagram: @Leaf Ceramics

, , ,
Jane Cocks