Dean’s Award for creative accomplishment Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art).

EMBRACING YOUR VANISHED SHADE is an exploration of memory, nostalgia, and the intricate interplay of emotions through an interdisciplinary lens. My project blends photographic prints on fabric, poetry, sound, and installation to create an introspective journey that traverses the realms of memory, nostalgia, and love, while delving into the complexity of emotions. At its core, this project places nostalgia, that bridge between loss and love, under the spotlight, inviting viewers to explore the profound influence of memory on one’s perception of reality. Memory, like the images within the project, is often confusing and distorted, reflecting the intricate nature of consciousness.

Guided by personal experiences, healing, and the inherent presence of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), my creative journey embraces an introspective approach. While not always explicitly focused on PTSD, its influence is inherently woven into the fabric of my work, highlighting the delicate balance between pain and beauty. This exploration leads me to the theme of bittersweetness, a prevalent element within my creations. Despite the ever-present pain, I strive to capture the subtle beauties found in the small moments of life, such as the play of sunlight through a window at just the right time of day.

Sound design plays a pivotal role in EMBRACING YOUR VANISHED SHADE, intertwining soft whispers of spoken word poetry to convey the depths of emotion. This immersive auditory experience prompts viewers to reflect on their own experiences and feelings while delving into the complex relationship between the past and present, influencing how we perceive the world.

Lillian Ophelia Deacon, 'Embracing Your Vanished Shade', 2023, Photograph

Lillian Ophelia Deacon, 'Embracing Your Vanished Shade', 2023, Photographic prints on Georgette fabric

Bend myself backwards, Split myself up, To be rebuilt in your image

All I’ve ever wanted, Is a place to call home, And maybe that’s with you.

instagram: @lillianophelia

lillianophelia.bandcamp.com

lillianophelia.cargo.site/

, , ,
Lillian Ophelia Deacon