TALE OF TIME: EXPLORING THE POETIC EROSION OF 35mm CINEMA FILMS

My work explores the remnants of cinematic histories, while also considering its connection to today’s digital landscape. I seek to prompt reflection on the enduring significance of analog methods during a time heavily influenced by digital technologies. By delving into the procedures and substances associated with forgotten and deteriorating 35mm cinema films, I aim to create a visual conversation between past and present realities.

“I think it’s emotional because something that is abandoned, frozen in time, doesn’t mean it’s destroyed even though it’s time has passed. It’s this reminder that time itself, is a destroyer. Layers and layers of dust start to tell a story, that can’t help but remind you that you’re looking at the past.” – Rone

This fascination was ignited during my time working at a cinema, where I stumbled upon rusted and forgotten film reels left to decay. Through my work, I endeavour to capture and convey the ephemeral charm and rich history of analog relics, serving as a vital link between the past and our ever-evolving digital future.

instagram: @artbylydiasant

bluethumb.com.au/lydiasant03

, , ,
Lydia Sant