REFRACTIONS OF REFLECTIONS is an exploration of the inner self channelled through the waves of water—an embodied experience of fluidity within my identity. The extensions of water, and the structure it holds is as transient as our flow with life and our interaction with the surroundings that inhibits our senses. These resonating ripples travel along with the movement of these paintings.

The project is a multimedia installation that features a projection of stop-motion animation of the painting process, which shows a series of unique mark-making building up expressive paintings, with intervals of jellyfish, real water drips and refractions, hanging sculptural jellyfish with the projection painting over them, and accompanying music.

These installations document my psychological and emotional state and embody the process of calming the seas of chaos that reside within my mind. They act as a portal into the transience of a moment. I record my emotions and thought processes through a sequence of abstract mark-making and use these in video projections to transcend my internal storm into a tranquil escape. I use the materiality of watercolour paints and diluted acrylics to echo the fluid movement of water while reflecting the dissolution of expression transmitted through individual marks. By recording each mark and putting them together into a stop-motion animation, marks transform into movements of water, and the process of painting becomes a retainer of narrative. The jellyfish represents a vessel of pain and imagined escapism. By documenting and transforming these processes, I create an intimate experience that allows an escape from reality through the insights of my fluid representations.

Anh Truong, Refractions of Reflections: Installation version #4, 2022.

Anh Truong, Refractions of Reflections: Installation version #3, 2022.

Anh Truong, Refractions of Reflections: Installation version #1, 2022.

Anh Truong, Refractions of Reflections, [work-in-progress], 2022.

instagram.com/ditzyrong

, , ,
Anh Truong